Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Christ in Camping

For the ninth time in the last eleven years I woke early on a Wednesday morning, showered, dressed, and walked out the door to head to Slippery Rock Baptist Camp's Staff Training.

Some of my fondest life memories come from Slippery Rock. It was here I counseled teenage kids for the first time. Here I preached my first weeklong series of messages. Here I led boys and girls in a prayer for salvation. Here I made friendships that will continue through eternity.
I can't think of a better place to spend a month of summer. You enjoy five weeks of fellowship with other Christian young people. You play several huge group games a day. You canoe, tube, and float down the creek. You climb towers and fly down ziplines. Spend hours at paintball, capture the flag, frisbee football, and endless water games. And mingled through all this fun you share Christ with those around you! You tell the fellow friends, counselors, cooks, maintenance guys, and campers all about how the Lord is working in your life. You glorify God in such clear, tangible ways!

As I read my devotions this morning my heart paused on several wonderful verses:
Psalm 16:2 I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence is fulness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

No comments: