Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Memories

This morning I woke early to get on my computer, not to surf the web or even work on lesson plans, but to video chat with my students. What a joy! It wasn't long, only five or ten minutes, but I enjoyed seeing their faces. I liked to see the high school guys had grown even taller. The girls had not grown in size, but each one acted a little more like a mature Christian lady. What a blessing to see just a small point in their lives which evidences not only God's working in their physical growth, but God working in their spiritual growth as well.

After the students went to class I slipped up to the shower, pulled on a button-down collared shirt, poured a bowl of cereal, and opened my Bible to the book of Psalms. What scripture to read on this my first day of school at Santa Clarita Christian School and the eighth first day of school as a teacher?

I found the words at the end of Psalm 59:
But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.

These verses speak to the past and present. God has been the strength of the psalmist in the past, and God will continue to be that strength in the present. He's been and will be a fortress. He has shown and will show steadfast love.

I'm not exuberant this morning, probably because of my ongoing lack of sleep, but these verses perfectly fit the day. They're neither excited dancings about God's goodness, nor are they calls for the Lord to smite the wicked (though that may be more my tone after working with Junior Highers all day). The verses simply state two wonderful truths. God's always been there. God will always be there. He strengthened me on my first day of school at FBCS in Butler with a class of 8 students 7 years ago. He'll strengthen me today at SCCS with a total of 101 students.

This is God . . .

1 comment:

MAK said...

I'm praying for you. I know you'll have a huge impact on these new students, as you have on your former students - for God's glory.
Love&Prayers